Monday, June 17, 2013

Recipe #1: Avocado, Tomato & Lemon Quinoa Salad


 With all the bread, wine, and chocolate I've been thoroughly enjoying these past few weeks, I decided it's probably time to start trying to eat a little better... sigh. When I get the chance, I try to make my own food so that I know exactly what I'm eating in order to make things healthier, and in my tiny kitchen, easy recipes are the best recipes. I love quinoa but I've never actually tried making it myself, so I decided I would finally try to experiment. Like rice, quinoa is so versatile and can be used in recipes for baking, lunch/dinner, as a side, or even for breakfast! Unlike rice, however, quinoa is incredibly healthy and keeps you full.


For my first time making quinoa, I decided to add in some of my favorite things to make a sort of quinoa salad. I am an avocado fanatic, so naturally, those are included in this recipe. With only 6 ingredients, this recipe makes for an easy lunch or dinner on its own, or as a side dish. Keep in mind that this recipe is incredibly versatile, so add in whatever vegetables you like.


Ingredients: (Makes 1 serving)

1 cup quinoa
2 cups water
1 lemon
1 tomato
1 avocado
Olive Oil
salt & pepper to taste

Directions:

1. Rinse quinoa in a strainer under water for about a minute. Use your hands to wash the quinoa.
2. Heat a skillet to medium-high heat, and add in a drizzle of olive oil.
3. Add in your quinoa. Stir frequently for about a minute, and let the excess water dissolve.
4. Add your water into the skillet, turn the heat down to the lowest setting, and cover and let sit for 15 minutes.
5. After the 15 minutes is up, take the skillet off the heat and let the quinoa sit, covered, for 5 more minutes.
6. After the 5 minutes is up, uncover and fluff with a fork.
7. In a separate bowl, mix the juice of 1 lemon and about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Whisk.
8. Cut your tomato and avocado however you please, and add to the quinoa. I like to transfer my quinoa to a separate bowl, and then add my veggies.
9. Drizzle the quinoa mixture with your lemon/olive oil dressing, add salt and pepper as you please, and you're done!


xo,
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment