Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Adventure Continues


It's been a great couple of days here! I'm definitely staying busy with my classes, and in my spare time I'm either wondering around the streets of Angers, grocery shopping, hanging out with the group, or going on excursions.



Yesterday, all of us visited the Chateau d' Angers, which is a chateau built in the medieval times (don't remember the century - history isn't my strong point...) which was really amazing. I love all of the history that this country holds and it is really special that we get the chance to see some of it! We had a really sweet tour guide who knew literally everything about anything about the history of Angers, and her excitement made the tour that much more exciting. Below is a picture of the outside entrance of the chateau. 

Here is a picture of the inside of the cheateau, which included a Catholic church built for the Duke of Angers, Louis. It was beautifully groomed and adorned with flowers and greenery! 



We also trekked the long, slippery stairs to the top of the chateau, which overlooked much of Angers. Below is a picture of me at the top! 


After the tour, we were all really starving since we had only had breakfast before class, and at this point it was about 4:45. Finding something to eat at this time is fairly hard in France, since the restaurants are usually only open during lunch and dinner hours. Luckily, we found a cool pub in the middle of the city that met our needs. I ordered the bruschetta, which is a little different than what I'm used to in the United States because when it came it was as big as a small pizza! It was delicious - it was a toasted piece of bread topped with ham, plenty of cheese, and tomato slices. It was accompanied by a large salad, which had an interesting yet tasty dijon dressing. 


Below is a picture of some ice cream outside one of pastry shops in the city. I haven't tried any yet but I'm definitely looking forward to it. 


Below is a picture of only a section of the wine selection in the big grocery store, Monoprix. 


Orangina (an orange flavored drink) seems to be really popular here in France, and I found these orangina flavored Haribo gummies that I just had to try! 


The second meal I made for myself in the room. I found crepes at the grocery store and filled it with ham and cheese. It's a little hard to cook in my little kitchen because I only have a small stove and a microwave, but because I have discovered that I apparently really like ham and cheese crepes, that's what I've been making. 


xo, 
Katie 

No comments:

Post a Comment