Friday, July 25, 2014

Embrace the Shine // Summer Skin



Why is it that people try to defeat the inevitable? Sure, concealer helps me hide the bags under my eyes and I take a shower everyday to avoid the fact that I smell bad, but trying to avoid getting oily in the summertime is like trying to avoid the hundreds of lost men at the mall during Christmas time - it just can't be done. In my experience, no amount of powder or dollop of primer will stop the sweat and the shine. Sometimes, you gotta embrace it.

So how do you go about getting a good and quick summer makeup base? Moisturizing. While you may feel like your skin is extra moisturized in the summer due to all that sweat, don't be fooled - the summer heat actually dries out your skin, so extra moisture is key for maintaing a healthy glow. Start the day with a light moisturizer, something like the Origins GinZing Moisturizer, which has a gel-like texture that soaks in quickly, meaning you won't feel like you just applied grease to your face. Next, apply a moisturizer with an SPF of at least 30. If you're like me and have a fear of sun induced wrinkles and getting a tomato red face, apply 50. I recommend the Kiehl's Super Fluid UV Defense Moisturizer SPF 50, which is super lightweight, or the Neutrogena Healthy Defense SPF 50 for a much cheaper and really good alternative.

Leave the foundation behind, cause we all know what foundation and sweat produces and it's a horrible mess. Close to what I imagine it would feel like if your actual face was melting off. Sorry for the image. I stick to liquid concealers, my favorite being the Maybelline Fit Me concealer and the Rimmel Wake Me Up concealer - y'all know the drill. Cover up any red spots or blemishes and give 'em a good blend. Base done.

Then, add something that'll give you a bit of a glow. I like doing this in the summer to help make your skin look a little more dewy and hopefully tricking others into thinking your sweat is really some kind of beautiful intention. I like to pop a little bit of Topshop Highlighter in Gleam cheek illuminator just lightly on the tops of my cheekbones. MAC Lustre Drops are also a good choice.

What's on my face:
Origins GinZing Moisturizer
KIEHLS Super Fluid UV Defense Moisturizer 
Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in 15 Light
Rimmel Wake Me Up in Soft Beige (under my eyes)
Hourglass Brow Scultping Pencil Soft Brunette
Loreal Infallible Silkissime Eyeliner in Highlighter blended on eyes (blog post on this coming soon!)
Loreal Miss Manga Mascara in Black
Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Rosé
Topshop Highlighter in Gleam (on the tops of my cheekbones)




No comments:

Post a Comment