Monday, May 26, 2014

Acai Breakfast Bowls





By now, I think everyone who owns an Instagram account has probably heard of acai bowls. It's one of those health food trends that's supposed to be really good for you, regardless of the fact that 90% of people don't know how to say it or know how to use it, myself included. After first learning what it was, I did some Google searching about how to get a hold of it, and realized the stuff is expensive... like $30 for a pack expensive. I finally came to terms with the fact that if I wanted to try it out I had to fork over the dough, so I decided to buy a pack of acai powder that I found at HEB for $22 (cheaper than I found it on Amazon, btw).

Now, I really had no idea how to use this stuff, but learned it's as easy as throwing a bunch of healthy stuff in a blender and putting in a scoop of acai powder. I'm really not one to be precise about my measurements, but here's what I threw together: about 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries, 1 banana, some milk, a handful of spinach, and a very imprecise amount of acai powder (about a tablespoon). I topped it off with fresh blueberries and raspberries, some ground flax seed, and a chia coconut granola. Possibly the best thing about these is that you can literally put in whatever you like and top it with your favorite things and it will most likely turn out delicious. My one mistake was that my bowl turned out a little too liquidy, so I'd recommend either putting in a couple of ice cubes or a frozen banana to thicken it up to a more ice cream-like consistency. Either way, this was a fresh, delicious, and healthy alternative to my usual oatmeal and cereal breakfast.

Side note: Although I'd been saying "acai" wrongly to myself for quite some time, I finally learned that the correct pronunciation sounds like ah-say-ee. This info alone is enough to impress your friends...

No comments:

Post a Comment