Friday, June 20, 2014

A Day of Tastings // Lifestyle

For a bit of something different this week, I'm turning the tables onto more of a lifestyle post because yesterday I got to taste some pretty delicious, local Austin meals. As you can probably tell by the photo of a proscuitto, arugula and garlic pizza staring at you, it was awesome and worthy of a share. I'm fortunate enough to have an internship at Citygram Magazine that allows me to attend some of these great events and restaurant openings (unusually good perks of being an intern, I'd say), and I thought it would be interesting to share a lil' bit of my local Austin culture while simultaneously sharing some great restaurants.

Note: I have literally NEVER had a beet in my entire life and today I had them twice. In two different dishes at two different restaurants. TWICE.

The first thing I got to attend was a farm tour and lunch at Travaasa Austin, a resort located in Northwest Austin that also has it's own small farm. Focused on sustainable farming, their garden provides for most of the restaurant, where we got the privilege to eat. Below is a pic of a vegetarian "tuna" salad made with almonds, sunflower seeds, and vegan mayonnaise. Beneath that may have been my favorite part of the whole day - a fresh basil and mint ice cream on top of a thin chocolate cake covered in a chocolate shell. AKA basically anything I could ever want in a dessert.




Next up was aRoma Italian, where the following pictures are from. It was a great experience and we got to try a couple of dishes made with top-notch ingredients. WARNING: If it's almost your lunch time, don't look at these... 









No comments:

Post a Comment